There are many types of reports in Access 2013, as well as various advanced options for modifying an Access report. Learn them here.
Video: Using the Report WizardWatch the video (3:37). Need help?
Access offers several advanced options for creating and modifying reports. The Report Wizard is a tool that guides you through the process of creating complex reports. Once you've created a report—whether through the Report Wizard or the Report command—you can then format it to make it look exactly how you want.
In this lesson, you'll learn how to use the Report Wizard to create complex reports. You'll also learn how to use Access's formatting options to format text, change report colors and fonts, and add a logo.
Throughout this tutorial, we will be using a sample database. If you would like to follow along, you'll need to download our Access 2013 sample database. You will need to have Access 2013 installed on your computer in order to open the example.
The Report Wizard
While using the Report command is a quick way to create reports from the current object, it's not as helpful if you want to create a report with data from multiple objects. The Report Wizard makes it easy to create reports using fields from multiple tables and queries. It even lets you choose how your data will be organized.
To create a report with the Report Wizard:
- Select the Create tab and locate the Reports group. Click the Report Wizard command.
Clicking the Report Wizard command
- The Report Wizard will appear. In the procedures below, we'll discuss the different pages in the Report Wizard.
The Report Wizard dialog box
Step 1: Select the fields to include in your report
- Click the drop-down arrow to select the table or query that contains the desired field(s).
Selecting a table that contains fields to include in the report
- Select a field from the list on the left, and click the right arrow to add it to the report.
Adding fields to a report
- You can add fields from more than one table or query by repeating the above steps. Once you've added the desired fields, click Next.
The added fields
Step 2: Organize the report
The Report Wizard will provide you with options that let you choose how to view and organize your data. These options group similar data within your fields and organize these fields into multiple levels, like in an outline or bulleted list.
If you are building a report from only one table or query, you can skip to Step 3 below.
- Access will offer a list of several organization options. Select an option from the list to preview it.
- Click Next when you are satisfied with the basic organization of your data.
- If you're not satisfied with the way your data is organized, you can now modify the grouping levels. Select a field from the list, and click the right arrow to add it as a new level.
Adding a new grouped level
- If necessary, modify the order of your grouped fields by selecting a field and clicking the up or down Priority arrow to move it up or down a level.
Moving the Sales Unit field down a grouping level
- Once you are satisfied with the organization of your report, click Next.
Step 3: Sort your report data
- Click the top drop-down arrow, and select the name of the first field you want to sort.
- Click the button on the right to change the sort to ascending or descending.
Sorting the report
- Add any additional sorts. You can sort up to four fields. The sort will be applied from top to bottom, meaning the sort at the top of the list will be the main sort.
- When you are satisfied with the way your data is sorted, click Next.
Depending on the grouping you have chosen for your data, your sorting options may be limited.
Step 4: Select a layout and title
- Click the various layout options to see how they look, then select one to use in your report.
- Select either a portrait (tall) or landscape (wide) orientation for your report.
Setting the report layout
- Once you are satisfied with your report layout, click Next.
- Select the text box, and type the title you would like for your report.
- Select whether you want to preview the report or modify its design, then click Finish.
Finishing the report
- Your report will be created and saved.
You may have to adjust your field and row size and location to make sure your data looks the way you want it to. To do this, you'll need to switch to Design view. When you're done, switch back to Report view to see your changes.