5 Free Instant Messenger Services
Connect with friends and family using the free instant messaging apps available. First, learn how to choose the right instant message app for you.
5 free instant messenger services
If you're looking for a way to keep in touch, we've collected five instant messenger services that allow you to chat with friends online:
- Yahoo! Messenger (Windows and Mac) Depending on your preference, Yahoo! Messenger is available for use as a web service or it can be downloaded. This service allows you to chat and share photos with your Yahoo! contacts, Facebook friends, and Windows Live Messenger contacts. Additionally, Yahoo! Messenger allows you to send text messages.
- Google Hangouts (Windows and Mac) Once you've downloaded Google Hangouts, you can chat from your computer's desktop, make video calls, and participate in group chats with other Google Hangouts and Gmail users.
- Digsby (Windows) Digsby allows you to chat with users of other IM services (AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, and Jabber) and it offers email notifications if you use Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, AOL, and others. If you enjoy social networking, Digsby alerts you to events like new friend messages and provides a newsfeed of friend activity.
- Pidgin (Windows) Pidgin is a basic instant messaging service that allows you to chat with users of other instant messaging services like AIM, Google Talk, ICQ, Yahoo!, and many more.
- Adium (Mac OS X) Adium is a basic instant messaging service that allows you to chat with users of other instant messaging services like AIM, Google Talk, ICQ, Yahoo!, and many more. It also allows you to combine contacts if a contact has more than one instant messaging name.