If you are just getting started with Google Chrome, there are a few things you should know first. Learn all about them here.
Unlike Internet Explorer or Safari, Chrome does not come pre-installed with your operating system. To use Chrome, you must first download and install it to your computer. The process is simple and should take no more than a few minutes.
To download and install Chrome:
- Using your current web browser, navigate to www.google.com/chrome.
- The Google Chrome download page will appear. Locate and select the Download now button.
- A dialog box will appear. Review the Google Chrome Terms of Service, then click Accept and Install.
- The Google Chrome Installer will open automatically. The download and installation process may vary depending on your current web browser and operating system. Step-by-step instructions will appear in the browser window if you are not sure how to proceed.
- The installer will close when finished, and Google Chrome will open.
- If you are using Windows, Chrome will add a shortcut on your desktop. Whenever you want to open Chrome, just double-click the icon. You can also access it from the Start menu or pin it to the taskbar.
- If you are using a Mac, you can open Chrome from Launchpad. You can also drag Chrome to the Dock for fast access.
If you want to use Google Chrome as your only web browser, you can set it as your default browser. Review our lesson on Customizing Chrome to learn how.