To format using the Format Cells dialog box:
- Select the cells you want to format.
- Choose FormatCells from the menu bar. The Format Cells dialog box opens. Or right-click the cells to open the shortcut menu and choose Format Cells.
- The Format Cells dialog box has several categories to choose from, each one on a separate tab: Number, Alignment, Font, Border, Patterns, and Protection.
- Click the Number tab if it is not already displayed.
- Click the different categories to preview results.
- Set other options if you want (font, borders, etc).
- Click OK.
If you hover your mouse pointer over the dollar sign button on the Formatting toolbar, the tool tip reads currency style. When you apply this button's format, Excel applies the accountant format (dashes for zeroes and dollar signs lined up next to the numbers).