When working in an Excel worksheet, you may need to insert or delete cells without inserting or deleting entire rows or columns.
To insert cells:
- Select the range where new cells should be inserted.
- Right-click and select Insert.
- The Insert dialog box opens and presents the following four choices:
- Shift cells right: The cells in the same row are shifted right.
- Shift cells down: Selected cells and all cells below them in the same column are shifted.
- Entire row: This inserts an entire row of cells.
- Entire column: This inserts an entire column.
- Choose an option, then click OK.
- Your result displays in the spreadsheet.
You can also use the Insert and Delete dialog boxes to insert and delete columns and rows.