If you'd like to work with Office 2016 download it online or buy the software from Microsoft. Learn about buying Office 2016 here.
The Microsoft Office suite is a collection of applications that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and much more. Office 2016 is similar to the previous version (Office 2013). However, if you've been using an older version of Office, such as Office 2010 or 2007, there are some important changes you should know about.
In additional to the regular boxed version, Microsoft now offers Office through a yearly subscription plan, known as Office 365. It has also been integrated with Microsoft's cloud services, including OneDrive. That's why it's important to understand the different services and available purchasing options before you buy.
Click the arrows in the slideshow below to learn about some of the Office 2016 services and features.
Visit our Microsoft Account and OneDrive and Office Online tutorials to learn about these services in more detail.
Which version of Office is right for me?
If you're still not sure which version of Office you want, take some time to think about the features that are most important to you and how they fit into your budget. Below are some questions you may want to ask yourself.
- Do I just need Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, or do I need the entire Office suite? If you only need the core Office applications, it may be best to buy Office Home & Student. While the initial price is more expensive, it may be the cheapest option over the long term if you plan to use this version for more than a few years. However, if you need other Office programs like Outlook or Access, you'll need to purchase either Office Home & Business, Office Professional, or a subscription to Office 365.
- Do I want to install Office on more than one computer? If your household has several computers, you may want to get an Office 365 Home subscription. Office 365 Personal and the nonsubscription versions can only be installed on one computer.
- Will I do a lot of editing on the go? If you want to edit Office documents on the go, Office 365 may be your best option because it will give you access to advanced features for free Office mobile apps. However, keep in mind that you can do basic editing within the mobile apps or in a web browser with Office Online, even if you don't own a copy of Office.
Student and business pricing
Microsoft offers discounts for the Office 2016 suite to college students and businesses. Check out Office 365 University and Office 365 for Business to learn more.
How to buy Office 2016
- Office 2016 and Office 365 are available directly from the Microsoft Store, as well as through retailers like Amazon.
- Office 365 is also available for a free trial, which can help you decide if it's right for your needs.
For more help making a decision, you can always ask an associate at your local Microsoft Store for advice. Alternatively, you can call 1-800-MY-MS-STORE for more information on the product you're interested in.