In Excel track changes is a useful feature. Track changes in Excel and use the comments feature when proofreading workbooks.
Sometimes you may want to add a comment to provide feedback instead of editing the contents of a cell. While often used in combination with Track Changes, you don't necessarily need to have Track Changes turned on to use comments.
To add a comment:
- Select the cell where you want the comment to appear. In our example, we'll select cell D17.
- From the Review tab, click the New Comment command.
- A comment box will appear. Type your comment, then click anywhere outside the box to close the comment.
- The comment will be added to the cell, represented by the red triangle in the top-right corner.
- Select the cell again to view the comment.
To edit a comment:
- Select the cell containing the comment you want to edit.
- From the Review tab, click the Edit Comment command.
- The comment box will appear. Edit the comment as desired, then click anywhere outside the box to close the comment.
To show or hide comments:
- From the Review tab, click the Show All Comments command to view every comment in your worksheet at the same time.
- All comments in the worksheet will appear. Click the Show All Comments command again to hide them.
You can also choose to show and hide individual comments by selecting the desired cell and clicking the Show/Hide Comment command.
To delete a comment:
- Select the cell containing the comment you want to delete. In our example, we'll select cell E13.
- From the Review tab, click the Delete command in the Comments group.
- The comment will be deleted.