Adjusting column widths
By default, Excel's columns are 8.43 characters wide, but each individual column can be enlarged to 240 characters wide.
If the data being entered into a cell is wider or narrower than the default column width, you can adjust the column width so it is wide enough to contain the data.
You can adjust column width manually or use AutoFit.
To manually adjust column width:
- Place your mouse pointer to the right side of the gray column header.
- The mouse pointer changes to the adjustment tool (a double-headed arrow).
- Drag the adjustment tool left or right to the desired width, then release the mouse button.
To AutoFit column width:
- Place your mouse pointer to the right side of the column header.
- The mouse pointer changes to the adjustment tool.
- Double-click the column header border.
- Excel autofits the column, making the entire column slightly larger than the largest entry contained in it.
To access AutoFit from the menu bar, choose FormatColumnAutoFit Selection.