The Facebook Notes application allows you to write and publish short notes on your Facebook profile. Once you write a note, your friends can read it and leave their comments.
People use Facebook notes for many different purposes. For example, notes can be used to:
- Tell your friends about something going on in your life
- Share a funny story
- Ask a question
- Advertise an event or something you want to sell
The possibilities are endless. If you write a blog, you can even import your blog entries so that they're automatically published as Facebook notes.
To Publish a Note:
- On the Home page, locate the left sidebar and click Notes.
The Notes application on the sidebar
- In the upper right corner of the page, click Write a Note.
Creating a new note. Notice that your friends' notes are also displayed on this page.
- Write your note. Make sure to include a title. Type the note itself in the box labeled Body. As you write your note, you can apply formatting to it, including:
- Making the text bold, italicized, or underlined
- Adding a numbered or bulleted list
- Adding a blockquote
Writing a note
- In the Tags section, type the names of your friends who are mentioned in the note, or who you want to notice it. When you tag someone in a note, they will be alerted when you publish it.
Tagging friends in a note
- If desired, add an image to your note.
- Click Add a photo.
Adding a photo to a note
- Click Browse....
Clicking Browse to search for a photo to upload
- Locate and select the image you want to add, then click Open.
Selecting an image to upload
- If desired, write a caption for your image, then select the layout of your note.
Selecting the note layout
- Set the Privacy Level for your note by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to Privacy. Choose from one of the following options:
- Everyone, which lets anyone read your note, whether or not you're friends.
- Friends of Friends, which lets only your friends and their friends read your note
- Friends Only, which means only your friends can read your note
- Customize, which allows you to select specific people who can or can't read your note
Selecting the desired note privacy settings
- When you're satisfied with your note, click Publish. You can also click:
- Preview, to see what your note will look like when it's published
- Save Draft, to save your note without publishing it
- Discard, to cancel your note
Publishing a note
- Your note will be published.You can always edit your published note by clicking Edit in the top right corner.
The published note
Once you've published your note, anyone who can view it can also comment on it. You can view these comments directly beneath the note.
Comments on a note
Importing Notes From a Blog
If you already write a blog, you may wish to post your blog entries as notes. When you Import notes, any new blog entry you write will automatically be added as a note.
To Import Notes From a Blog:
- From any Notes page, click Import Settings..., located in the left sidebar.
Editing note import settings
- Enter the URL of the blog you wish to import.
- Click the checkbox to verify that the blog you're importing belongs to you and doesn't contain obscene or illegal material.
- Click Start Importing.
Entering information to import an external blog
- You will be taken to a page with a preview of your imported blog entries. If the entries are correct, click Confirm.
Previewing imported blog entries
- Facebook will now import your blog entries as notes.