2 of 2
Creating an Account
In order to create a Google account, you'll need to enter some information, like your name, birthdate, and location. Creating a Google account will automatically create a Gmail (Google Mail) email address and a Google+ profile, as well. Using Gmail, Google's free email service, or Google+, Google's social network, is completely optional, so don't feel obligated to use these services.
If you have a Gmail address, you already have a Google Account, so you won't need to create an account—you can simply sign in to Google using your Gmail information.
To Create a Google Account:
- Go to www.google.com.
- Click the Sign in button in the top-right corner of the page.
Clicking Sign in
- Click Sign Up or Create an account for free.
Clicking Sign Up
- The Create a new Google Account form will appear.
Creating a new Google Account form
- You will now need to enter your information into the form. Type your first name and last name.
- Type the Google username you want to use. This will be both your Google Account name and Gmail address. Google checks the availability of the username to make sure that name hasn't already been taken.
Typing your Google username
- Type your desired password. Just like with any online service, it's important to choose a strong password—in other words, one that is difficult for someone to guess. When you type your desired password, Gmail will tell you whether it is strong enough, and if it's not strong enough you can modify it. For more information, check out Passwords: The First Step to Safety in our Internet Safety tutorial.
Creating a strong password
- Enter your birthday month, day, and year. Next, select your gender.
Typing Birthday and selecting Gender
- Optional: If you would like for Google to text you your password if you ever forget it or need to reset it, enter your Mobile phone number. This is not required to sign up for a Google Account.
- Optional: If you would like for Google to help keep your account secure by emailing you if there is unusual activity happening with your account, enter an alternate email address in the Other email address box.
Fields for contact information
- Next, you will need to enter the verification text. You will also need to select your location.
Typing the verification text and selecting Location
- Review the About personalization link and check the box if you would like to participate in Google +1 content and ads. We will leave the box empty.
- Click Next step to continue.
Agreeing to Terms of Service
- The Create your profile page will appear. Click Add Profile Photo if you wish to add a photo to your Google+ profile. If you do not want a profile photo at this time, click Next step. You can add a profile photo later, if you change your mind.
Continuing to the next step
- The Google welcome page will appear. This page will help explain the basics of your Google account and remind you of your new Google username and Gmail address
The Google welcome page
- You have completed the sign up process. Click Get started. You will be redirected to www.google.com.
Clicking Get started