In Google Docs indents are useful to draw attention to certain elements. In Google Docs tabs are helpful for text placement.
You can use the three indent markers and the Ruler to create custom indents that are larger or smaller than the Tab key's default half-inch indent. When you move the indent markers, the Ruler provides a blue guide line to help you see where the indent will appear.
- First Line Indent marker: Adjusts the first-line indent of a paragraph
- Left Indent marker: Moves in unison with the First Line Indent marker to indent all lines in the paragraph
- Right Indent marker: Increases or decreases the right indent by moving all lines of the paragraph from the right margin
To customize indents with the Ruler:
- Place the insertion point anywhere in the text or paragraph you want to indent (you can select one or more paragraphs).
- Click and drag the desired indent marker. As the marker moves, the blue guide line extends from the Ruler.
- Release the mouse at the desired location. The text will indent.
To indent the paragraph on the right side, click and drag the Right Indent marker.