Read this free lesson to learn more about finding a job with social media.
While most people may think of Twitter as a place to share personal status updates or find the latest news and trends, the site has also become a powerful resource for connecting employers and job seekers. The rapid pace of Twitter ensures that you'll find the latest information about job postings and employers.
Review the techniques below to learn more about using Twitter in your job search:
- Create a professional profile
Just like Facebook (and any other social media site), having a strong profile will help you make a good impression. Be sure to use a professional profile photo and write a memorable bio, which should include a short summary of your skills and interests. You might also consider including a custom background, your location, and a link to a personal website, portfolio, or online resume. To keep your personal and professional information separate, you can also create a professional Twitter account in addition to your personal one. Just make sure you set your personal account to disallow finding by email, so that potential employers don't see it by mistake.
A professional Twitter profile
- Follow potential employers
Twitter allows you to interact with different companies directly. Try following some potential employers to keep up with the latest news, information, and even job postings. You can also take advantage of the #Discover tab to find influential users in your field, which gives you an opportunity to develop relationships. For example, tweeting directly at a hiring manager might be a great way to stand out from other candidates.
Following a company on Twitter
- Search for jobs
You can use Twitter's powerful search feature to find tweets about new jobs in your field. Some companies advertise jobs on Twitter well before the listing might reach a company website or online job board, which can give you an advantage over other job seekers—the sooner you can apply to an open position, the better.
Searching for jobs on Twitter
Additional Twitter strategies
- To make job searching on Twitter even easier, sign up for a job alert from TweetMyJobs. Just enter the type of job you're looking for, and you'll receive automatic updates about new job postings on Twitter.
- Trying following a job board like @jobshouts, @indeed, or @simplyhired. You'll be the first to see a variety of new job postings and get helpful advice for your job search.
- If you're having a difficult time deciding who to follow, you can browse a wider variety of influential Twitter users by category on Twellow.