By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Define business etiquette
- Seek ways to improve business etiquette
What is business etiquette?
Business etiquette is a set of manners that is accepted or required in a profession. Often upheld by custom, it is enforced by the members of an organization. Those who violate business etiquette are considered offensive. The penalty for such behavior frequently lies in the disapproval of other organization members.
Business etiquette is important because it creates a professional, mutually respectful atmosphere and improves communication, which helps an office serve as a productive place. People feel better about their jobs when they feel respected, and that translates into better customer relationships as well.
To help you define the type of manners or behavior that are expected in your workplace, consider the following:
- How do you treat clients or customers?
- How do you treat your coworkers and supervisor?
- How do you conduct yourself in your cubicle or office?
- How do you conduct yourself during meetings?
- What kind of email messages do you send?
- Do you follow a dress code?
- How do you conduct yourself in the break room?
- How do you conduct yourself during business-sponsored social events?
- How do you conduct yourself during training events?
- How do you conduct yourself on the telephone?