Buying a House
Need house buying tips? Get advice and help buying a house using this free lesson, which covers the main things you need to think about.
Where to look
Once you have a good idea of the type of place you want, here are some places to help you start your search.
- Real estate agency. Real estate agents can help you look for a house. You'll learn more about real estate agents later in this lesson.
- Newspaper classifieds. You can find listings of apartments or houses on classified websites such as craigslist, or in local newspapers and their websites.
- Housing or real estate guides. These listings can usually be found at your local grocery store.
- Ask friends or family. They may know of a great house that is available or know of some people who are moving.
- Websites. Some real estate agencies may have websites of their listings. Housing or real estate guides may also have websites.
- Community bulletin boards. Homeowners wishing to sell a house may post a notice in a community center or library.
- For-sale signs. Many real estate agencies and owners post signs in front of available property.