Planning for Retirement
Planning for retirement? Retirement help is here, with these retirement planning tips offered in this free lesson.
Setting retirement goals
Planning for retirement
As you prepare for retirement, keep these tips in mind.
- Develop financial goals, and create a plan to achieve them.
- Be prudent, and watch out for people who are out to get your money. Be skeptical about financial offers that promise anything free or with little effort.
- Recognize that, as an investor, you will face risk. Diversify your assets to best protect yourself against risk.
- Before paying bills and other obligations, try to set aside money each month in accounts for your long-range goals and emergencies. In other words, budget for savings.
- Try to pay off credit card debt. The interest you pay on a credit card reduces the amount you can save for retirement.
- Try to get a job with a strong retirement plan that is either a traditional monthly retirement benefit or a 401(K) plan. You'll learn more about 401(K) plans later in this course.