Get shopping tips for buying everything from a car to a house, and get shopping help to understand where your money is going.
Tips for becoming a savvy online or catalog shopper
If you are interested in online or catalog shopping, become knowledgeable. Here are some tips to consider.
- When making purchases online, make sure you are buying through a secure site. When you get ready to finalize your purchase on a secure site, you should see the http: portion of the web address turn into https: This protects personal information such as your credit card number. When a secure transaction occurs, your information is encoded and only the retailer's website can decode it.
- If purchasing an item on a website such as eBay, look at the seller's rating. This feedback from past customers will give you information on the quality and reliability of the seller.
- Make sure the site or catalog distributor is reputable. Many major retailers now have catalogs and/or online shopping sites.
- When viewing merchandise online, keep in mind that you can enlarge the picture to get a better view.
- Be sure to check the return policy and guarantee offered by an online or catalog retailer. Look for a toll-free number in case you encounter any problems.
- Save your receipt and any packaging from an item that comes in the mail in case you need to return it.
- Keep in mind the convenience of not having to drive to a store to compare prices, so determine shipping and handling costs on products you buy online or in a catalog.