Get shopping tips for buying everything from a car to a house, and get shopping help to understand where your money is going.
Comparative shopping tips
To find the best bargain, try these tips:
- Use coupons wisely. Don't buy an item just because you have a coupon or because it is on sale. Only buy it if you need it.
- Consider the location of the bargain. Should drive across town to buy an item on sale when the trip costs you $3? Or should you buy it at regular price at the corner store?
- Consider buying in quantity. Generally speaking, the more of a product in a package, the better the price per unit.
- Avoid buying convenient food. Sometimes this is difficult to do, especially if you are short on time. But remember that you have to pay for convenience.
- Generic or plain-label products are usually less expensive than brand name products. However, try to ensure that the quality is similar or equal to the brand name. If you don't like the product, it's probably not worth the savings.
- Consider buying many items you use regularly and can easily store if they are on sale.