Downloading and installing Skype
It only takes a few minutes to set up Skype for the first time. You'll start by creating an account on the website. Then you'll download and install the software you need to run Skype on your computer.
If you have an @hotmail.com or @outlook.com email address—or an account that lets you use Microsoft services like OneDrive or XBox Live—you already have a Skype account. Just select Microsoft Account and sign in with your existing information.
To download and set up Skype:
- Go to Skype.com and select Sign In in the upper-right corner.
- Select Create an account, and the sign up form will appear. Follow the directions and enter the required information, such as your name, birthdate, and gender.
Filling out your information
- Review the terms of service and the Skype Privacy Statement, then click Continue.
Creating your account
- Your account has been created. Select Download Skype.
Clicking Download Skype for Windows
- Locate and select the installation file on your computer, then follow the instructions to install Skype.
- Enter your user name and password, then click Sign in.
Signing into Skype
- The Skype window will appear.
The Skype window
If you don't download Skype after creating an account, you can also download it here.