Setting up Twitter on your mobile device
Want to tweet from your iPhone, Android, or other mobile device? There's an app for that. No matter how you see yourself using Twitter on the go, there's an app for everyone—from the official Twitter app to a wide range of alternatives that have their own unique features.
You can find and download these apps in your mobile device's app store or market. Simply search for the word Twitter. Feel free to search for the app by name if you can't find the one you're looking for.
The official Twitter app
From Twitter Inc., these apps most closely resemble the experience of using Twitter on the Web. They're functional, feature-rich, and familiar in a good way. The official app for your device is a great place to start if you like using Twitter on the Web or have no experience with Twitter. The official Twitter app is available for iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows Phone.
While we've chosen to focus on the official app in this lesson, there are also many third-party apps out there. Some have more robust versions of features you'll recognize from the Web—like lists for organizing the people you follow—while others have different, more stylized interfaces. Third-party apps are an excellent choice if you've experienced Twitter but want something more.
Below are some examples of popular third-party apps. Check your own app store or market—or visit the app's website—to find out which apps are available for your device.
For select devices:
To install an app:
In this example, we've chosen the Twitter for Android app to give you an idea of what to expect during the setup process. If you have a different device—or choose a different app—the process should be similar; just follow the app's instructions.
- Locate the app you want in your device's app store or market. The official Twitter app can be found by searching for the word Twitter.
Searching for an app on Android
- Choose the app you want to install, and follow your device's instructions. The prompts will be slightly different for everyone, but your device will walk you through it.
Installing an app on Android
- When it's finished downloading, tap the Twitter logo on your app screen to open the app. If you have a different device, you may have a different way of opening the app for the first time.
Opening an app on Android
- Choose Sign In if you have an account, or Sign Up to create a new one. In this example, we will sign in with an existing Twitter account.
The Twitter for Android welcome screen
- Enter your Twitter user name and password, then follow the app's instructions to continue.
Signing into Twitter on Android
- Your Twitter app's homepage appears.
The Twitter for Android homepage
If you are using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, Twitter is now integrated directly into iOS, the operating system used by Apple mobile devices. You can install the app easily by opening your Settings and then clicking Twitter. Once you've installed the app, you can tweet directly from the notification center without opening the app.