In Word symbols can be added and altered to add clarity and visual appeal. Use symbols in Word for all types of Word documents.
To insert symbols into your document:
- Click Insert on the menu bar.
- Select Symbols. The Symbols dialog box appears.
- Click the Symbols tab to select a symbol from a font type.
- Click the Special Characters tab to view other commonly used symbols.
- Click on the Symbol or Special Character you would like to select, then click Insert.
- The symbol or character will show up in your document.
- Click Close.
Available symbols will depend on which fonts you have installed on your machine. Word comes with pre-installed symbols for you use, but other fonts such as Wingdings will offer numerous symbol options.