Headers and footers
Headers and footers can help keep longer documents organized and make them easier to read. Text entered in the header or footer will appear on each page of the document.
To insert a header or footer:
- Select the Insert tab.
- Click either the Header or Footer command. A drop-down menu will appear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Blank to insert a blank header or footer, or choose one of the built-in options.
Inserting a header
- The Design tab will appear on the Ribbon, and the header or footer will appear in the document.
- Type the desired information into the header or footer.
Typing text into a header
- When you're finished, click Close Header and Footer in the Design tab, or hit the Esc key.
After you close the header or footer, it will still be visible, but it will be locked. To edit it again, just double-click anywhere on the header or footer, and it will become unlocked.
To insert the date or time into a header or footer:
- Double-click anywhere on the header or footer to unlock it. The Design tab will appear.
- From the Design tab, click the Date & Time command.
The Date & Time command
- Select a date format in the dialog box that appears.
Selecting a date format
- Place a check mark in the Update Automatically box if you would like it to always reflect the current date. Otherwise, it will not change when the document is opened at a later date.
- Click OK. The date and time now appears in the document.