Basic formatting in Excel can customize the look and feel of your Excel spreadsheet. Learn about inserting and deleting cells here.
When working in an Excel worksheet, you may need to insert or delete cells without inserting or deleting entire rows or columns.
To insert cells:
- Select the range where new cells should be inserted.
- Right-click and select Insert.
- The Insert dialog box opens and presents the following four choices:
- Shift cells right: The cells in the same row are shifted right.
- Shift cells down: Selected cells and all cells below them in the same column are shifted.
- Entire row: This inserts an entire row of cells.
- Entire column: This inserts an entire column.
- Choose an option, then click OK.
- Your result displays in the spreadsheet.
You can also use the Insert and Delete dialog boxes to insert and delete columns and rows.