Excel charts let you illustrate your workbook data graphically to see trends. Learn how to move, resize, and delete charts in Excel as well.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Move a chart
- Resize a chart
- Delete a chart
Moving a chart
An embedded chart can be moved anywhere on a worksheet. The easiest way to move a chart is to drag it around the worksheet.
To move a chart:
- Click anywhere on the white space in the chart, and use the cursor to drag the chart anywhere on the worksheet.
- Release the mouse button to place the graph in its new location.
Resizing a chart
Charts can be resized—made larger or smaller—to fit on a worksheet. Chart titles are sized in proportion to how large or small you make the chart. And within the chart area, the legend and/or plot area can be made larger or smaller. Chart titles can be moved but not resized.
To resize a chart:
- Click anywhere on the white space of the chart area, plot area, or legend where you want to move or resize.
- Point the mouse to one of the grab handles or resize cursor—the pointer changes to a double-headed arrow—to resize the chart.
- Use the mouse to drag the sizing handle until the chart is resized to the desired size.
Deleting a chart
Any embedded chart or chart sheet can be deleted from a worksheet. A chart sheet is deleted in the same manner a worksheet is deleted. This section discusses how to delete an embedded chart.
To delete a chart:
- Click anywhere on the white space of the chart area to select the chart.
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard.
If you have difficulty deleting a chart, click anywhere outside of the chart and then select the chart again.
- Open your Monthly Budget file.
- Move the chart so it's located below row 19 and all of the data.
- Resize the chart so it's larger than its current size.
- Save and close the document.