Use images in Google Docs to make the more visually appealing. In Google Docs images are both useful and simple to add to a file.
Sometimes when you insert an image or a picture from a file, you may find that you will need to change the position of the image or resize it to make it look well placed in your document.
To edit the position of an image:
You may notice that it is difficult to change the position of the image to another location in the document. This is because of the text-wrapping settings on the image. You'll need to change the text-wrapping setting if you want to move the image freely, or if you just want the text to wrap around the image in a more natural way. The positioning options are:
- In line: This option aligns the image with the text. The image will move with the text if additional text is added or deleted. However, this option gives you less freedom to move the image where you want.
- Wrap text: This option causes the text to wrap around the image. Use this option if you want to move the image to another location in the document.
- Break text: This option is like text wrapping, but the image will act as a break—meaning text will only appear above and below the image, not to the left or right.
- Select the image you want to change the position of. The three positioning options appear below the image.
- Select Wrap text. Hover the mouse over the image, and the cursor will change into directional arrows. Click and drag the image to the desired location.
- Release the mouse, and the image will move to the selected position. The text wraps around the image.
To edit the size of an image:
- Select the image you want to resize. Resizing handles appear around the image.
- Click and drag one of the corner sizing handles. The image will change size while keeping the same proportions. If you want to stretch it horizontally or vertically, you can use the side sizing handles.
- Open our example file. Make sure you're signed in to Google, then click File > Make a copy.
- Delete the picture of the grill on the right side of the page.
- Insert another image by searching the word fireworks in the stock image search. Choose a firework picture you like.
- Change the image's alignment to wrap text.
- Drag the picture to the right side of the document and resize the image to fit on the page next to the text.
- When you're finished, your document should look something like this: