Learn all about Google Hangouts texting capabilities in this free lesson so you can communicate with friends and family easily.
To send a text message:
In addition to sending messages online, you can send text messages to mobile phones. In order to do so, you'll need to have a Google Voice account. If you don't already have one, Google has a help page that can assist you in creating one.
Once you've created a Google Voice account, you'll want to make sure you're signed in to both Google Voice and Google Hangouts with the same account.
- First, you'll need to make sure you have text messaging turned on. Click the Menu button in the top-right corner of the window, then select Settings.
- Scroll down to the Google Voice section and click the check box next to Receive SMS and voicemail in Hangouts.
- Type the name, email address, or phone number of the person you'd like to text, then click his or her name.
- A Hangouts window will appear. If this person has a phone number connected to his or her Google account, you'll see an SMS button toward the top of the Hangouts window. Click the SMS button.
- Type the text message you'd like to send, then press Enter.
To send a photo:
While chatting, Google Hangouts also gives you the ability to send pictures to your friends and family. Whether it's something that can't be communicated through words or just a funny image you found, sending photos takes only a few easy clicks.
- In a Hangouts window you have open, click the attach a photo button in the bottom-right corner.
- A pane will appear with several options of attaching a photo. Locate the photo you'd like to attach using the option of your choice, then click Select.
- A thumbnail of the photo will appear in your Hangouts window. Click the Send attachment button in the middle of the thumbnail.
- Your photo will be sent.