Creating Simple Formulas
In Google Sheets simple formulas can help you calculate important data. Learn how to create simple formulas in Google Sheets.
To edit a formula:
Sometimes you may want to modify an existing formula. In our example, we typed an incorrect cell address in our formula, so we need to correct it.
- Double-click the cell containing the formula you want to edit. The formula will be displayed in the cell.
- Make the desired edits to the formula. In our example, we will replace C4 with C5.
- When you're finished, press the Enter key on your keyboard. The formula recalculates, and the new value displays in the cell.
- Open our example file. Make sure you're signed in to Google, then click File > Make a copy.
- Select the Challenge sheet.
- In cell D4, create a formula that multiplies cells B4 and C4. Be sure to use cell references.
- Use the fill handle to copy the formula to cells D5 and D6.
- In cell D7, create a formula that adds cells D4, D5, and D6.
- Change the quantity in cell B4 to 15. You should also see cells D4 and D7 change.
- When you're finished, your spreadsheet should look something like this: