Learn the various interview types, as well as types of interview questions to ask, in this free career-focused lesson.
Regardless of which type of interview you will have, all should follow the same process. We suggest keeping the following GOA2L Process in mind during an interview:
1. Greet the interviewer with a firm handshake, introduce yourself, and thank the interviewer for taking the time to meet with you.
2. Offer additional copies of your resume. Have several copies with you in case you'll meet with multiple interviewers. If you have previous work samples, a list of references, or other materials to share, you can bring them out now or hold onto them until you are asked about them.
3. Answer the questions that are asked of you, making sure to be honest, clear, professional, and concise. If you don't understand a particular question, it is always acceptable to ask for clarification.
4. Ask whatever questions you may have about the job or the company. Remember, this is your chance to find out if you really want this job for this company. Not sure what to ask? Read more about asking your own questions.
5. Leave on a good note. When the interview is over, shake the interviewer's hand again. Thank the interviewer for taking time to talk with you, communicate your interest in being hired, and ask when you can expect to hear an answer about the job.
Finally, don't forget to send a thank-you note! Less than half of job candidates send them, but all hiring managers are impressed by candidates who send thank-you notes. Either by phone, email, or letter, follow up. This is just one more way to put yourself ahead of other candidates. Use the note as a chance to: