Planning for Retirement

Planning for retirement? Retirement help is here, with these retirement planning tips offered in this free lesson.

How to replace a Social Security card

To get a duplicate card if yours is lost or stolen or a corrected card if you have changed your name, call or visit your local Social Security office. Your card will be replaced free of charge. You will need to:

  • Complete an application for a Social Security card (Form SS-5).
  • Show proof of your identity. If you need a corrected card, you will need to show one or more documents, which identify you by the old name on our records and your new name. The document showing your current identity must have been issued recently.
  • Show proof that you are a U.S. citizen or lawful alien status if you were born outside the United States.