Learn about printing in Office XP in this free lesson.
Troubleshooting printing problems
- Take care of the basics. Make sure the printer is plugged in, turned on, and has paper in it.
- Make sure the printer cable is properly connected to the printer and to the computer.
- Check to see if there is a paper jam. Most printers have a flashing light to indicate a jam. Also, if the paper size selected differs from the one in the paper tray, you will not be able to print. To choose a paper size, select FilePage Setup. Click the Paper Size tab.
- Check to see that the printer toner, cartridge, and/or ribbon are fresh and adequate. If not, printed documents may appear streaky, blotchy, or even blank.
- Make sure the printer is switched to Online mode. There is usually a button on your printer's control panel. If it is switched to Offline mode, it will not print.
- Make sure the computer knows which printer you are using. In Windows XP, check this by clicking StartControl PanelPrinters and Other HardwareView installed printers or fax printers. If an icon for your printer doesn't appear, try restarting your computer. If you printer still doesn't appear, you may need to add it. Click Add a Printer and follow the instructions in the Add Printer Wizard.