When working in PowerPoint 2000 changing slide appearance is simpler than you think. Just follow the instructions in this free lesson.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Change the appearance of slides
Changing the appearance of slides
You have already learned how to create a presentation using a design template. However, let’s say you are asked to create a new or custom design for your presentation. The Format menu is where you can find many of the tools you need.
Using the Format menu, you can change the slide background and font size, add or delete bullets, and more.
Changing the background
The best way to create a custom design is to begin with the background. When you change the color or design of the background, you will be limited in the color of your font.
To change the background of a slide:
- Choose FormatBackground.
- In the Fill Color drop-down menu, choose a color for the background.
- Click More Colors for a larger selection of colors.
- In the Background dialog box, click Apply to preview your selection. If you don't like it, you can change the color.
- Choose Apply to All if you want the same color for all slides in a presentation.
Adding fill effects
Many companies like to enhance their slides without using a fancy presentation template. You can do this by using fill effects at the bottom of the Fill Color drop-down menu in the Background dialog box. Click Fill Effects, and a Fill Effects dialog box appears.
The Fill Effects dialog box offers a variety of effects.
Adding shading, textures, or patterns to your slides can give your presentation a more interesting appearance.
To change or add effects:
- Open a presentation.
- Select a slide to change.
- Choose FormatBackground from the menu bar. The Background dialog box opens.
- Click Fill Effects at the bottom of the Fill Color drop-down menu.
- In the Fill Effects dialog box, the Gradient tab is already selected. Preview some of your choices by clicking inside the small circle for colors and shading styles. You can use the slider to make color lighter or darker.
- Click the Texture tab to preview more choices.
- Click the Pattern tab for more options.
- Decide on a design, and click OK.
<!!-- CHALLENGE PAGE-- >
- Open My First Presentation.
- Choose a background color and Gradient fill effect.
- Choose Apply to All.