In Publisher 2003 objects can be inserted, deleted, and modified using the step-by-step instructions provided in this free lesson.
Working with objects
Watch the video! (12:19 min)
AutoShapes in Publisher are a group of shapes you can add to your publications. Shape options include stars, banners, lines, triangles, and much more. AutoShapes are considered a Publisher object, just like text boxes and images. Similar to all Publisher objects, AutoShapes can be stacked or arranged in a different order. To help with layout, Publisher allows you to align— or snap—objects to other objects or guides.
To insert a rectangle:
- Click the Rectangle icon on the Object toolbar.
- The insert shape cursor (two crossed lines) will appear.
- Click and drag your mouse to draw the rectangle.
- Add fill color and line color using the formatting toolbar.
- Resize and move the shape as needed.
- You can also insert ovals, arrows, and lines using the corresponding buttons on the Objects toolbar.
To insert an AutoShape:
- Click the Insert AutoShape Icon on the formatting toolbar.
- Click and drag the cursor to draw the AutoShape to a desired size.
- Release the mouse, and the shape will appear.
- Add fill and line color.
To delete an object or AutoShape:
- Select the object to delete.
- Press the Delete key or right-click and select delete.
You can order or change the way objects stack or overlap in your publication. If two or more objects overlap, you can change the order:
- Select the object you want to move forward or backward.
- Go to the main menu and select ArrangeOrder.
- Select how you want to move the selected object.
- Click OK.
To use the Snap feature:
- Select ArrangeSnap from the Main menu.
- Select a Snap option.
- Other objects will snap or align with the nearest object.
- Ruler guides will snap or align to the nearest ruler guide.
To use ruler guides:
- Click and drag the vertical or horizontal ruler. A guide will appear. Click and drag the guide to reposition it.
- Move an object near the guide. It will snap to the guide.