Bold, Italics, Underline, and Format Painter
Format text to improve Word documents. Learn how to use the Format Painter, as well as bold, underline, and italics.
Using the Format Painter
You've applied font, font size, a type style, and spacing. Your text is formatted exactly the way you want it. If you need to repeat this particular format throughout a document, you don't have to go through the long process of individually formatting text over and over again. Instead, use Word's shortcut: the Format Painter.
To use the Format Painter:
- Highlight the text containing the formatting you want to use on another piece of text.
- Click the Format Painter button (on the Standard toolbar).
- Your mouse turns into an I-beam cursor with a paintbrush to the left.
- Select the text you want to format.
- When you release the left mouse button, Word formats the text with all of the formatting characteristics of the text you selected.