Cut, Copy, Paste, and Drag and Drop
Learn how to use the cut copy paste Word XP functions, as well as the drag and drop Word XP functions, in this free lesson.
Drag and drop
The drag-and-drop method of moving text allows you to move selected text using your mouse.
This method is convenient for moving text when:
- Moving text from one location to another within a document
- Moving text to another document
To drag and drop selected text:
- Select the text you want to move.
- Place the mouse pointer anywhere on the selected text without clicking.
- Click and hold the left mouse button until the insertion point changes to a white arrow pointing up to the left.
- Left click and drag the selected text to the new location.
- During this process, the mouse pointer changes to a box with a small white arrow over it to indicate that you are dragging text.
- When you reach the new location, release the mouse button to drop the text into place.
- Once you release the mouse button, a menu list will appear that offers you the following options:
- Move Here
- Copy Here
- Link Here
- Create Hyperlink Here
Be sure to remove the selection highlight before pressing any key so you don't delete newly moved text. IF you do accidentally delete, press the Undo button.